Friday, April 5, 2013

Arizona: The Good, The Bad, and The Positively Vile


As I collect all of my belongings and make my very first trek to the great state of Massachusetts, I can't help but ruminate over my complicated relationship with Arizona. In a way, being raised here was the reason that I restricted my employment search to the East Coast (and San Francisco, 'cause it's awesome). Don't get me wrong: I see the intrigue of this desert oasis, given that both of my parents fled here after enduring one too many Chicago/Minnesota winters. But early on, I knew Arizona wasn't for me: the politics, the monochromatic landscape, and the near-constant sunshine have never appealed to me. What follows is my attempt to reconcile some aspects of Arizona that I actually enjoy, in addition to the areas of the state that I find particularly disturbing.

The Good

1. Despite what seems like a constant lament over our hot, hot, hot summers and mild winters, I have to say that I take Arizona weather for granted. When the snow is up to my waist this winter, I know I'll be green with envy as I see pictures of my friends in shorts and t-shirts in November.

2. Vegan food! As much as I hate to admit it, Phoenix has really become a hub of suppressed liberalism--as a friend smartly noted--and, along with it, veg*n restaurants are popping up all over! We now have Green, Aside of Heart, Bragg's, True Food Kitchen, Pomegranate, Chakra 4, and many more that my coffee-addled brain can't presently identify.

3. Orangewood. Royal Palm. Washington. These were the settings of my most cherished memories, and they housed the people that I hold so close to my heart. Even if time and distance have created some chasms in our friendships, I love all of these people and wish them the best in their own life adventures.

The Bad

1. Damn, it's gonna feel so good to be in a veritable sea of liberals. A lot of my friends are conservative, and although I don't agree with their politics from an ideological standpoint, I don't think their views are any less legitimate than my own. There was a time when I argued vigorously for women's abortion rights, the legalization of gay marriage, etc. (admittedly, I'm not at all well versed on economic policy), but I have come to realize that most of my efforts were futile at best. I am still obstinate in what I believe, but it's illogical to force a set of opinions down someone's throat, especially if he or she is just as set in his or her views. A super tangential analysis, but let's just say I'm excited to meet more like-minded people.

2. I know people will disagree, but Arizonans are really unfriendly, myself included. When I was in Washington, D.C., it was wonderful to be approached by strangers who were simply interested in meeting new people. As I said, I'm pretty insular myself, but that doesn't mean I don't hope to become more outgoing.

3. No. Green. Besides the artificial grass that blankets Scottsdale lawns, I am sick and tired of seeing mountains and pitiful attempts at trees and flowers. I would love love love to start a garden once I'm settled in Boston. On the agenda: kale (a must for this vegan!), basil, dill, collard greens...ah, a verdant paradise!

4. As much as I view driving as a cathartic experience, I hate that nothing in Arizona is within walking distance. Boston, on the other hand, has ahh-some public transportation--in addition to being known as a walking city--and I fully intend to take advantage of it.

The Vile

1. There is really only thing that fits into this category, and it's a criticism of my own making. Without going into too much detail, I associate the state of Arizona with a protracted illness, one that I wish to excise once and for all upon leaving.

What do you like about your state? What aspects do you detest?

3 comments:

  1. I like a lot about AZ - something that I grew to appreciate more after living elsewhere. I certainly see your point of view, though. People are definitely more friendly other places. If you think the East Coast has nice people, try going to the Midwest - nicest people in the world (aside from Mr. Rogers)!

    Enjoy the heck out of your new job and residence. That's really exciting. I'm happy that you are going to go somewhere you like to do something you love - it's what life is all about. But don't forget your roots, and remember to visit AZ every now and then.

    And like I always said when I had a blog: Keep it real, O'Neal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks, Zac. Whatever happened to your blog? It was great.

      You're right about appreciating your home after an extended absence. I guess I tend to move forward with haste, but that unfortunately makes me less appreciative of my past experiences and acquaintances. It's a good reminder, and I'll definitely be back to visit. :)

      I'm glad you're reading!

      Delete
  2. GIRL. Saw it. Read it. Thank you for the quote, and I'm loving the blog :)

    ReplyDelete