Tuesday, April 9, 2013

In Which I Attempt to Embrace Positivity

Hi everyone,

Happy Spring! Happy Tuesday! Happy April 9th! Despite my overuse of exclamation points, I'm in a not-good-place. Maybe I need some Vitamin D; maybe it's just my "artistic temperament"; or maybe my inner asshole is making an appearance.

Anyway, in lieu of blasting you all with a virtual philippic on why I want to leave now, I'll instead try and spark some much needed positive vibes. There is a popular meme that usually circulates on Friday, in which bloggers wax poetic about the things they are loving and why. It's always fun for me to read, and brings a smile to my face. So here's my mid-week love list:

1. Girls. You guys, this show is ah-mazing. It captures so much of what it's like to be a twenty-something, and episodes run the gamut from graphic sexual exploits to best friend drama to snorting cocaine in a club bathroom. And everything in between. Plus, Lena Dunham is a powerhouse: she created the show, in addition to writing, starring in, and directing episodes.

2. Nail polish. Maybe a simple pleasure, but ever since I stopped biting my nails, I have loved trying different colors and perfecting an even coat. Essie is vegan, along with many others that I'm too tired to research.

3. Hemp seeds. Well, I've loved hemp seeds for a long time, but I'll find any excuse to enumerate their health benefits. Hemp seeds offer Omega 6, 3, and 9, and are an excellent source of magnesium, iron, zinc, and potassium. They also taste great. I love sprinkling them on my daily kale salads, throwing them in a smoothie, or adding them to a homemade pesto.

4. Rain. Again, I've always loved rain, but it was nice to get a shower last night, if only for a brief thirty minutes. The rain stimulates my senses, calms my mind, and assures me that the world is basically a good place.

5. My body. I'm grateful that it allows me to exercise nearly every day. I'm relieved that it has rebounded even after the hell that I have put it through. I'm happy to inhabit this body, and I know that it will continue to be my friend, even in spite of my many protestations.

Ah, I feel better already! Sometimes we all need to shift our mental paradigm and focus our energy on something positive. I don't believe in fate, although I wish I did. I don't believe in the law of attraction, although I wish I did. I don't believe in heaven or hell, although I wish I did. All I can know for certain is this present moment, a blank canvas on which to paint my own choices and actions. Hopefully, my current painting is a joyous one.

xo

What do you do when you're annoyed or sad or angry?

2 comments:

  1. Love this post, I need to try Hemp seeds! I like to eat, or have a good cry and then eat ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I think a good cry is in order. But do try hemp seeds and let me know what you think! :)

    ReplyDelete