Saturday, April 20, 2013

My Quote Obsession. Plus, An Exciting Announcement!



It's no secret: I'm a quote whore. Quotations bolster me when I'm feeling depressed. They inspire me and give me courage. When I'm at a loss for words--a rare occurrence, mind you--they provide a succinct, often multi-faceted, summation of my innermost thoughts. I don't really have a favorite author, although I'm partial to Twain and Nietzsche, and Jeremy Bentham is a great source for AR inspiration. Given the country's most recent events, I think we could all use a pick me up, as it were. Below are some of my all-time favorite quotes. Enjoy!



"He who has a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'." -Nietzsche
"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them." -Mark Twain


“Some men see things as they are and say why – I dream things that never were and say why not.” -George Bernard Shaw


"The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" -Jeremy Bentham


"Expectation is the root of all heartache." -William Shakespeare


"If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived." -Jeffery R. Holland


"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Unknown

"When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years." -Mark Twain


“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.” ― Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird


"You tear apart the baby's rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, or even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived, could tear apart. Only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernatural beauty and glory beyond." -excerpt from "Yes Virginia, There is a Santa Claus," full text here. 

Don't these quotes provide such a beautiful representation of the human condition? LOVE.

I also want to briefly mention an exciting development in my own life. I'm not one to parade around flaunting achievement or the like, but I figured I would mention the news here in case readers enjoy my writing. In a few weeks, I'll begin writing for Healthy Bitch Daily (the website is temporarily down while they revamp), a wellness site that just so happens to promote veganism. I'm so happy to be doing something that I love.

What quotes inspire you? Paste any in the comment section--fuel my obsession! :)

xo

3 comments:

  1. Congrats lady! Excited to read your work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you quoted Jeffrey R. Holland, he is the most powerful speaker. I also love the quote below it, my mom had it posted on the fridge in our house for quite awhile. It is such an important reminder not to judge people's actions, but to recognize that they too are struggling with their own demons as we all are. That is so exciting about your writing job, make sure to post links so we can read your work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Molly, Love what you are doing with your website! I work with the Herbal Academy of New England (www.herbalacademyofne.com) and would love to get in touch with you to discuss your blog. Can you please shoot me an email? ameyers(at)herbalacademyofne(dot)com.

    Blessings! - Amber

    ReplyDelete