Saturday, April 13, 2013

The Professional Vegan: Shoe Edition

Hi everyone,

I hope your weekends are off to a lovely start! Mine will be filled with Skype interviews, as I continue to search for the perfect apartment. As such, today's post will be short and sweet.

Have you ever been curious about what vegans wear in terms of shoes, clothes, and outerwear? Or maybe you're like so much of the population, who have subconsciously typified vegans as a Birckenstock-wearing, peasant skirt-donning group. Maybe this was an accurate depiction of vegans a half-century ago, but thankfully, it's no longer the case! As I've mentioned previously, a vegan diet and lifestyle is reaching the mainstream at an ever-increasing rate; individuals from all walks of life have found peace in boycotting a cruel and economically-driven industry. There are now a wealth of clothing and shoe options for vegans that are both economical and fashionable.

Today, I'll cover vegan shoes. Truth: I'm not a credible authority when it comes to style. In fact, much of my knowledge comes from my fifteen-year-old sister, who is much more adept when it comes to what's de moda and what should never be seen in public. Nevertheless, I'll offer up some shoes that appeal to me, and hopefully they will at least inspire you to seek out leather and suede alternatives.

So, why don't vegans wear leather or suede? Most leather in the United States is imported from countries like China and India, both of which do not adhere to strict animal welfare laws. Cows' tails are broken, and tobacco and chili peppers are forced into their eyes in an attempt to blind them before entering the slaughterhouse. In the U.S., things aren't much better: the animals are castrated, dehorned, and branded--often without painkillers. The leather in your handbags and shoes isn't even guaranteed to originate from cow skin; alligators, ostriches, kangaroos, dogs, and cats are all known to be slaughtered for their meat in other countries and their skin is then exported to the U.S. Not so glamorous, right?

But there are some great alternatives, both online and in stores. My personal favorite is ModCloth. I recently purchased three pairs of shoes for work:







I love that ModCloth often specifies that a shoe is vegan in the item description. When purchasing shoes from another store, just make sure the bottom or the inside of the shoe says "all man-made materials."

Now to try and form an outfit...

xo

Where do you like to shop for shoes? Any work style tips for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment